Northwestern / Illinois Tonight

Blizzard

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to watching this one tonight.

Reality check for Northwestern or will they prove they belong?

Looking forward to it as well. Illinois has far & away been the most schizo Big 10 team to figure out. A different team shows up every night. I want to see how the Illini handle it if the Wildcats hang around until the final minutes.

Win or lose tonight, if NW gets out of this week 1-1 (host MSU this weekend) they'll have to feel pretty good about their start to the Big 10 season, especially if they beat Sparty.

I've always wondered which it goes with a team dynamic like Northwestern's. They lose their best player ( Coble ) and are ranked for the first time in about 40 years. Was it because the other players stepped up or that they were there and didn't get the opportunity because they were overshadowed by Coble?

I'm rooting for Northwestern ( expect when they play us course ). :)

I've always wondered which it goes with a team dynamic like Northwestern's. They lose their best player ( Coble ) and are ranked for the first time in about 40 years. Was it because the other players stepped up or that they were there and didn't get the opportunity because they were overshadowed by Coble?

I'm rooting for Northwestern ( expect when they play us course ). :)

Blizzard...I said in an earlier thread that announced that NU was ranked #25, that I wished them well all the way except against the Gophers.

Go NU!

GO GOPHERS!

Wow. 42 - 33 Northwestern at the half. Lights out from three.

They again look like a dangerous team that could beat anyone if they get hot from 3...

lets see if they can pull it out in OT, Tisdale fouled out on a horrible call by the way.

Tisdale had a good game. Nice quote after ..

I love it to be honest. Anytime I get a challenge it?s just kind of fun to shut people down,” Tisdale said. “My teammates found me when I was open, and I was able to put it in the basket.

I don't remember that he had very good games against us last year. I really hope we shut him down again.

Northwestern took them right to edge. It's became a big game on our schedule again.

Northwestern looked very solid. Illinois is just a terribly difficult place to win? (As the Gophers no all too well). When's the last time we actually won there? Winning in Evanston's going to be difficult too. Outside of Iowa and maybe Indiana, any road win in the BT this year is going to be hard fought and appreciated.

I found myself rooting for NW as the overachieving underdog, but looking at it from the Gophers self-interest perspective, which team is more likely to be our competition for an NCAA bubble spot? The Gophers, Illini and NW are all middle-of-the-pack B10 teams so we need to finish the conference season no worse than tied with these teams in the standings; the games against these 2 and other middle-of the-packers like WI, OSU are key to our postseason chances.

When's the last time we actually won there?

Depends on how you look at it. The last time we left Champaign with a victory was in 1996 (by one point.) That was the year b/f the final four run. But that win (season, etc.) was later vacated thanks to Clemgate. So officially, the last win was, I think, 1978--before many of the posters here knew what a basketball or a gopher was.

Top Bottom