The Clem...I mean Sid Show - in photos...

GopherLady

Reaction score
Here are some photos I took from tonight. I apologize that some are so blurry. I sit in the upperdeck, and have a nice zoom on my camera - but I'm still learning how to use it when motion is involved. You can still see the general images.

Honoring the 1989-90 Elite 8 Team Photo Album

I almost forgot to copy and paste Reusse's hilarious tweets (thanks to Noorman pointing them out to me) from tonight:

C. Haskins there w/ '90 team. Tubby introduces him @ halftime. Crowd cheers loudly. Clem starts to wave in return, BUT...Sid comes raclng up aisle, grabs Clem, puts arm around & then SH grins as if cheers are for him. Last time moment stolen like this it was Kanye West rushing T Swift @ MTV awards.

Great pics, GL - new Xmas camera? What is it? Where do you sit that you have such a great view???

I for one and thrilled that you have captured that vulture Sid for who and what he is!

Thanks! I've actually had the camera for a few months (I actually got it from selling my extra set of Final Four tickets for a nice profit...basketball just keeps on giving and giving to me!). It's an Olympus with 12 Megapixels and a 26x zoom. It's the 1st non-Canon I purchased, and it was because of the zoom, and how it works in lower lights without flash. Since you can't use flash at games, I needed a camera that could pick up images on it's own. I would have loved to get an SLR - but they were a ton more expensive (plus additional lenses, etc), and I would really have to sit down and take lessons with one of those.

I do have killer seats - no one sits in front of me, so tons of legroom, great view of the bench, and The Barnyard. I usually sit with my friend Moonbeam, but she ditched me for lower level seats today ;)

I love Willie's sweater!

willieb.jpg

Bush-league move by Sid last night, but I wouldn't expect anything else from him. What an arrogant, self-serving dink.

Again, Sid proves what an attention whore he really is. The really sad part is that the whole thing really wasn't surprising.

Hey GL - was that Dick Ames sitting next to Clem and his wife?

Don't need any pics of the guys. Every minute of that year is burned in my memory.

Kevin got fouled in the corner!

Thanks for the pics....they're great.
Could someone (Gopherlady?) list the names of the players under one of the team photos? I recognize about 1/2 of them, but let's just say the years have been kinder to some than others.....:eek::cool::D

Thanks for sharing the photos -- those are really good. But I don't see why people are so upset about Sid ... jealousy?

Well, I noticed it right away, as did my brother. We watched Sid work his way over to Clem, just waiting to pounce. Then, as soon as Clem was introduced, there was Sid pushing his way next to him, and posing for pictures. Sid was just being a bit of a glory-hog (or, for Arrested Development fans, a Clem-hog), which can bother some people. I thought it was hilarious, personally.

Thanks for the pics, Willie looks like he could still suit up!

GL, it appears that you sit right by me as that is the exact same view I get. Love those seats. However, I have to share them with my little sister so I only get half the games.

Take it easy on Sid

Sid was just being a bit of a glory-hog

He's past his prime for sure and I'm sure young people don't have any idea of his impact on the local sports scene. (Remember, the internet hasn't been here forever.) Have a little respect and do your research - Sid was instrumental in making MSP a major league town. We should all be thankful for his service. He has been nothing but a homer for 80+ years. Thank goodness too. I salute him. So should you.

"He has been nothing but a homer for 80+ years. ... I salute him. So should you."

I'm not a youngin' (40ish), and I certainly understand Sid's impact in the TC. But just because he's an institution (some would argue he should be institutionalized) doesn't mean I have to like him. He's way too much of a homer and name-dropper for my tastes, and he's arrogant and self-serving to boot. I'll salute Sid, but I don't think it's the kind of salute you'd be looking for. What a shameless "look-at-me" display he put on last night. Pretty pathetic, really, especially considering how recognizable he already is in these parts.

He's past his prime for sure and I'm sure young people don't have any idea of his impact on the local sports scene. (Remember, the internet hasn't been here forever.) Have a little respect and do your research - Sid was instrumental in making MSP a major league town. We should all be thankful for his service. He has been nothing but a homer for 80+ years. Thank goodness too. I salute him. So should you.

Did you know that when you assume, you make an ass of u and me? Guess what, I know all about Sid's history with the state, and I like the pugnacious ol' codger a lot. But the same things that make me enjoy having him as a Minnesota institution also would probably make him a less than lovable individual. He loves to insert himself into stories, he's a bit of a glory-seeker, he can't write at all, and he's very opportunistic. Also, from everything I've heard, he's a class-A grouch. Again, I like the guy. Next time, don't assume that playful comments about Sid's love of the spotlight show a disregard for Sid's accomplishments.

If Sid really wanted to pay the former coach his respects, he could have called him on the phone and arranged ten minutes before or after the game. It was a horrible display attention grabbing, and to be honest, very unbecoming of a man his age. His appetite for being noticed must be insatiable.

I missed the game last night, what did Sid do exactly?

I missed the game last night, what did Sid do exactly?

During the intro of the '90 Elite Eight team at half time, Clem stayed in the stands (about row 4 at half court) while the team was out there. Tubby grabbed the mic and and offered words of congratulations and nicely honored the team, and honored Clem. The players (spontaneously?) looked up to the the stands and cheered Clem and invited him on the floor with them. Meanwhile, Sid comes all the way from press row and climbs the few rows to "greet" Haskins, gives him a bear hug and obstructs his way onto the court. At the same time, the crowds cheering got louder and apparently Sid gave some sort of wave (that was out of my view) as if the whole moment was intended to include him.

It really was pathetic.

We need to thank Sid

He has done so much for this University of Minnesota Athletic Department. He will be missed when he's gone and we don't have him to criticize any longer. He's going to be 90 years old in March. Let's thank him for what he's done, put up with him when he's perhaps trying to get the spotlight, and move on.:)

He has done so much for this University of Minnesota Athletic Department. He will be missed when he's gone and we don't have him to criticize any longer. He's going to be 90 years old in March. Let's thank him for what he's done, put up with him when he's perhaps trying to get the spotlight, and move on.:)

If Sid would have stepped aside five years ago, I would be more in your camp. He has held on so long, and in a manner so undignified and grumpy, that he makes it easy to forget his contributions. Part of success is knowing when to hang it up, and he has overextended himself. He could have gone the way of other columnists and reduced to once a week and once a month, and an occasional "elder statesman" appearance, but he just couldn't let go, and thus we have incidents like last night, and a pattern of crabbiness and forgetfulness on the radio that may overshadow his contributions.

I love Willie's sweater!

willieb.jpg

Me too! From Reusse's article - it looks like it was a sweater they all wore in his playing days. Not to Gold Country - start making this sweater - they will fly off the shelves!

"That's Willie, right there,'' Richard Coffey said. "I wouldn't know where to find my sweater, but Willie brings it with him, and knows the fans will love seeing that maroon and gold.''

Again, Sid proves what an attention whore he really is. The really sad part is that the whole thing really wasn't surprising.

Hey GL - was that Dick Ames sitting next to Clem and his wife?

Yes, I believe it was.

Thanks for the pics....they're great.
Could someone (Gopherlady?) list the names of the players under one of the team photos? I recognize about 1/2 of them, but let's just say the years have been kinder to some than others.....:eek::cool::D

There was some nice person that just tagged a bunch in a photo. So check it out.

GL, it appears that you sit right by me as that is the exact same view I get. Love those seats. However, I have to share them with my little sister so I only get half the games.

I LOVE our seats! We often talk about what seats would be better. Come and stop by the next game you have, 222, row 4!

If Sid would have stepped aside five years ago, I would be more in your camp. He has held on so long, and in a manner so undignified and grumpy, that he makes it easy to forget his contributions. Part of success is knowing when to hang it up, and he has overextended himself. He could have gone the way of other columnists and reduced to once a week and once a month, and an occasional "elder statesman" appearance, but he just couldn't let go, and thus we have incidents like last night, and a pattern of crabbiness and forgetfulness on the radio that may overshadow his contributions.

Whatever his faults, he still contributes more then most newspaper/radio guys. I saw the Sports Show Sunday night for the first time in a while and he seemed more lucid and undsterstandable then Reusse or Dark Star (I know, I know). I've heard him say more then once that the reason he doesn't quit is because it keeps him young and he's sure he'd keel over the next day if he retired. It's hard to fault him for that.

BINGO!

Perfectly stated. Right on the money.

So he's wants to be where the action is? Always has. Yep, he's arrogant - agree. Lovable? Not sure. An institution - without question.

Oh, and for all anyone knows, Sid was begging Clem to get up on the floor. I wasn't sure how anyone would react to Clem being there. Sid being there was like a warm blanket for Clem. Just what he needed on a potentially cold night - and it seemed to break the ice pretty well. Sure got some folks here fixated on Sid rather than Clem, that's for sure......

I LOVE our seats! We often talk about what seats would be better. Come and stop by the next game you have, 222, row 4!

I am in the same row then, but we have the first 2 seats on the left side. I love those seats as well. Gotta love the leg room.

Well, I noticed it right away, as did my brother. We watched Sid work his way over to Clem, just waiting to pounce. Then, as soon as Clem was introduced, there was Sid pushing his way next to him, and posing for pictures. Sid was just being a bit of a glory-hog (or, for Arrested Development fans, a Clem-hog), which can bother some people. I thought it was hilarious, personally.

Nice - I got a good laugh out of that. I have to laugh every time I see a post from Bob Loblaw too.

Sid didn't bother me as much as how long the whole clem hug-n-kiss affair took. I'm sure the gophers wouldn't have had much time for a halftime nap and resultant lapse in the second half if tubby would have had more time in the locker-room.:rolleyes:

@GL nice pics

I am in the same row then, but we have the first 2 seats on the left side. I love those seats as well. Gotta love the leg room.

No way! What a small world - I get really claustrophobic, so I think we have some of the best seats in The Barn. I sit next to Moonlight, can't wait to meet you!

Top Bottom