Kudos to Gopher Marketing

GopherLady

Reaction score
For all of the grief they get, they should also get accolades for coordinating the ceremony for the 1989 team at halftime.

For those of you not lucky enough to attend this evening's game, Tubby started out by commending the team and Coach Haskins. As was discussed, he received a standing ovation. Then they proceeded to introduce each team member, and presented them all with a nice plaque - leaving time for applause. They finished out with a group photo, and my phone blew up with texts about what a great job the U did.

Feel free to add in any details, this is very top level. Great job, Gopher Marketing!

Oh - they also coordinated it so each entrance handed out pennants to commemorate the season.

Yes, its about time. I was worried after Tubby was done that they might just file off the floor. Willie Burton got the crowd going - it was fun.

Me too! I'm so glad they introduced each player and honored them individually. Willie was adorable - and his sweater was the bomb!

Agreed - the U marketing department did a fantastic job with this. Many were disappointed the way they handled the 82 BT reunion and at that time Maturi said via e-mail that a ceremony like that wouldn't happen again...and last night was a fantastic halftime celebration. Willie looked so fired up and showed why he is an all-time Barn favorite. The team had people lined up in the aisles all game long waiting to shake their hands and talk with them and they all seemed appreciative of all of the support. You can still feel the love and admoration that the team has for each other, 20 years later.

Go Gophers!!

It was a nice moment. Especially Clem being urged by the team to come on the court... Good stuff.

I'll add on. Primo work by marketing and the basketball staff. It was a touching, emotional night at Williams Arena. So much so that after halftime, I think the fans had spent so much emotion, the crowd was a little flat and took a while to get going (as did the Gophers).

I've always had a ton of respect for Willie Burton. Now I have even more. He stepped up big-time last night, just as he did as a player. A touching moment when he led the charge to get Clem out on the floor.

Top Bottom