Colton Iverson and the issue of.......

Reaction score
ball control. i have noticed lately that he seems to be struggling with ball control. is it poor hand/eye coordination? whether it is down in the post or out on the perimeter he seems to be struggling at times. tonight was especially bad. hopefully he is putting in extra time to work on this aspect of his game.

anyone else agree/disagree with this observation of colton?

He was himself... not bad, not great.

Speaking of tonights performances; Cobb's is showing some glimpses into the future, he has game. Rodney needs to quit shooting the deep ball... Carter might be turning the corner, his shot looks much better, and if he gains some confidence he can be the player we thought he would be this season. Devoe is the most disappointing player thus far, he's not showing he can be the guy we need him to be next season, without Westbrook.

I've always thought that was Colton's biggest problem. He is a tough kid with a big body and some skills, but he often looks extremely clumsy with an inability to catch the ball or move with an agility.

I've been waiting all season for Cobbs to start looking for his shot a bit. I understand that he wants to prove he's a pure PG, but sometimes the best play is looking for your own shot. He's got all the tools to be a fantastic B10 PG. He's big, strong, fast, can shoot, shows promise defensively.. he's just way too passive most of the time.

Curt Rambis said something the other day that I loved: "Passing on a good shot is just as bad as taking a bad shot"

I agree with all of that except I don't know what you saw out of Carter that would suggest he might be turning the corner. Just because he made a 3 point shot? I didn't think he was that noticeable tonight.

I don't know why people hyped up Devoe so much this year. Someone on here deemed him the next Steph Curry multiple times. Ridiculous.

He was himself... not bad, not great.

Speaking of tonights performances; Cobb's is showing some glimpses into the future, he has game. Rodney needs to quit shooting the deep ball... Carter might be turning the corner, his shot looks much better, and if he gains some confidence he can be the player we thought he would be this season. Devoe is the most disappointing player thus far, he's not showing he can be the guy we need him to be next season, without Westbrook.

I thought Cobbs and Carter off the bench both did some encouraging things. I'm not sure why Carter gets grief. He has his limitations, as do most players, but he's a nice verstile 6-7 athlete coming off the bench.

That's the most assertive I've seen Cobbs. Looks like a guy who as he develops is going to like the limelight, ala Westbrook. One of the things I really like about Tubby is when it gets to crunch time, he's not worried about hurting anyone's feelings. He'll go with the guys who are playing the best that night, not just pigeon-hole the same guys onto the court.

Cobbs' spot in the guard rotation last night was a case in point. He played better than Devoe last night, so he got quite a few of those minutes. Competition for playing time is good. Competition for PT is something we didn't have much of a few years ago.

Colton is not strong with the ball. His passes are lazy. 50% from the FT line. Slow to the ball (rebounding) .... There are positive aspects of his game, but the negatives tend to stand out.

Colton hurries when the ball is in his hands. If he could allow himself to pause an extra split second to get into a rhythm with his movements he wouldn't be consistently missing those bunnies. Easier said than done obviously. Hopefully he figures it out.

I agree with all of that except I don't know what you saw out of Carter that would suggest he might be turning the corner. Just because he made a 3 point shot? I didn't think he was that noticeable tonight.

I don't know why people hyped up Devoe so much this year. Someone on here deemed him the next Steph Curry multiple times. Ridiculous.

Carter missed a lot of bunnies early in the season... he was 5 of 6 last game. Yes, he only hit a three last night, but his flat shot appears gone (for now). That's all I think his game is missing, a little confidence with his stroke and those shots around the basket to fall too. Paul's defense and rebounding is there every night.

Devoe is capable of hitting 3-5 threes any game, but consistency and shot selection are questionable. He makes nice basket cuts and has no problem beating his defender off the dribble, to the bucket. Back to the negative... Joseph had the worst turnover of the night, when he got the ball stripped from his dribble like a third grader.

I like Colton for the most part, mainly because he plays hard all the time. There are times when he looks pretty confused however and when that happens, he gets into trouble. The other thing with him is that his hands aren't soft. He often has a hard time catching or rebounding the ball, which I think is part of his problems offensively at times. Still, he likes to bang and that's a nice thing to have because Sampson doesn't like to bang all that much. Overall, I'll take his 20-25 minutes and about five rebounds.

I agree Colton's doesnt have the best hands or feet. This team badly needs a physical presence and he's our only hope. Get him the ball in the post, when he gets touches Down Low his overall play goes up.

Colton

Colton needs to post up harder, more physically. There are times when he could be pinning his man under the rim and getting easy shots, or at least creating space for others by more aggressively posting. He has some limitations that he can't do anything about, but posting up hard all the time is something within his control.

5 of 6 against South Dakota St and 1 of 3 last night. The comment came after last night so I assumed you were referring to his most recent performance. I'm not sure his confidence shooting was ever the problem, he's just never been a very good shooter. His rebounding hasn't been that great this year, but compared to the rest of the team I guess it has.

I guess Devoe is capable of hitting 3-5 3s any game, but that's mainly because he's a volume shooter with a not so great shot selection. 41% from the field and 35% from 3. He is fun to watch when he's hot, but that's very rarely. I just wish he would stay aggressive more often and make better decisions.

Carter missed a lot of bunnies early in the season... he was 5 of 6 last game. Yes, he only hit a three last night, but his flat shot appears gone (for now). That's all I think his game is missing, a little confidence with his stroke and those shots around the basket to fall too. Paul's defense and rebounding is there every night.

Devoe is capable of hitting 3-5 threes any game, but consistency and shot selection are questionable. He makes nice basket cuts and has no problem beating his defender off the dribble, to the bucket. Back to the negative... Joseph had the worst turnover of the night, when he got the ball stripped from his dribble like a third grader.

Top Bottom