Joe Coleman offer

JohnnyGopher

Reaction score
With all the confusion, even some among Gopher coaches, it sounds like today Tubby reached out to some Hopkins people and said that Joe has a scholarship offer from Minnesota now and that message will be passed on to Joe.

thanks for the info. Hope there are no hurt feelings out there.

Tubby Smith = Pure Class.

Btw - here's the funniest part, I just congratulated Joe, and he was like "why, what happened?" I don't think he knew anything about Marcus's tweet, this board, etc., which is great. He just needs to know the Gophers want him, and I'm just so glad this is all settled. I would never want a kid to go from elated to embarrassed. He is a great kid. I'm excited to watch him play these next two years, as playing time was tough to come by on a team filled with D1 talented seniors.

Do the Gophers really want Joe Coleman to commit or is this offer a way to not tick off influential people in the Twin Cities basketball community?

Following the whole story and reading between the lines it seems to me like someone in the program (likely an assistant coach) watched Coleman play and got a little too excited. Coleman was on the Gophers radar, but they weren't intending to offer at this point. Now that the "miscommunication" occurred, Tubby felt like he had to offer now or 1. Lose the opportunity to recruit Joe Coleman at a later date or worse 2. Anger influential Twin Cities high school/aau basketball figures who would feel like the Gophers were screwing with a local kid.

With all the confusion, even some among Gopher coaches, it sounds like today Tubby reached out to some Hopkins people and said that Joe has a scholarship offer from Minnesota now and that message will be passed on to Joe.

Last I saw, Coleman is averaging near 30 ppg for Hopkins. That number has probably dropped now but he seems to be the best HS junior in Twin Cities.

I cannot imagine why the Gophers wouldn't offer him a scholarship. I hope he accepts the offer.

He had 27 last nigth against Ro Russell's team and had a sick dunk in the first game that I was sent video of and will post it if i can ever figure how.

Coleman and Hopkins play tonight against #1 4A St. Paul Johnson and gopher prospect pg Estan Tyler. Before that game is Henry Sibley with Big Jake Krueser and Mike Rostempour against Russells Lake Christian Academy.

First game at 5, championship at 7 at Augsburg.

Estan Tyler was the name I had been trying to remember recently. Some of the recent posts here about MN prospects seem to have passed him over. Are the Gophs really high on him or taking a wait and see approach?

The Gophers are just watching Tyler right now, I've heard mixed reviews on him. Right now UNI is his only offer.

I can't remember anymore how many classes we have in FB and Bb in MN anymore, Hopkins is #1 in the biggest class, St. Paul Johnson is #1 in the second biggest class.

haha, I hear ya there JohnnyGopher... Especially having football and basketball being back to back seasons. I keep saying hopkins is #1 in 5A.

Johnson defeated Hopkins tonight in a crazy up and down game. From what I've seen so far this year, Johnson is the best team overall in the state.

Estan Tyler is the point guard the Gophers have interest in. He received his offer this past July.

Estan Tyler is the point guard the Gophers have interest in. He received his offer this past July.

I don't remember hearing about this. Will he be a Gopher in 2012?

It's to early to Know if Estan Tyler will be Gopher. Both Coleman and Tyler are only Jr's.

It's to early to Know if Estan Tyler will be Gopher. Both Coleman and Tyler are only Jr's.

Sorry, why is it too early to know? If the Gophers offered did he accept and if he didn't - why not?

Both Coleman and Tyler have 2yrs of Hs basketball left. Think of Royce White or Rodney Williams at the same time in Hs. None of those kids were close to making a college choice. Who's to say what these 2 great kids will do. There is plenty of time.

Both Coleman and Tyler have 2yrs of Hs basketball left. Think of Royce White or Rodney Williams at the same time in Hs. None of those kids were close to making a college choice. Who's to say what these 2 great kids will do. There is plenty of time.

Ok. Thanks. :)

I always figure the Gopher will offer plenty of players. If it's on the table and right for the player, grab it while it's there. It's big step though and should be considered carefully.

Hopkins is one of the top 5-7 biggest schools in the entire state.

I didn't think that was the case so I looked it up. Here are the top 20 Minnesota High Schools based on this year's enrollment figures (grades 9 thru 12):

1. Wayzata - 3091
2. Eden Prairie - 3079
3. Champlin Park - 2838
4. Burnsville - 2794
5. Stillwater - 2785
6. Minnetonka - 2777
7. Woodbury - 2559
8. Blaine - 2536
9. Chaska - 2446
10. Anoka - 2374
11. Edina - 2364
12. White Bear Lake - 2358
13. Coon Rapids - 2356
14. Maple Grove - 2325
15. Eagan - 2324
16. Hopkins - 2190
17. Eastview - 2138
18. Park Cottage Grove - 2137
19. Forest Lake - 2123
20. Prior Lake - 2003

I didn't think that was the case so I looked it up. Here are the top 20 Minnesota High Schools based on this year's enrollment figures (grades 9 thru 12):

1. Wayzata - 3091
2. Eden Prairie - 3079
3. Champlin Park - 2838
4. Burnsville - 2794
5. Stillwater - 2785
6. Minnetonka - 2777
7. Woodbury - 2559
8. Blaine - 2536
9. Chaska - 2446
10. Anoka - 2374
11. Edina - 2364
12. White Bear Lake - 2358
13. Coon Rapids - 2356
14. Maple Grove - 2325
15. Eagan - 2324
16. Hopkins - 2190
17. Eastview - 2138
18. Park Cottage Grove - 2137
19. Forest Lake - 2123
20. Prior Lake - 2003

I know Hopkins is only grades 10-12 where a lot of those high schools are 9-12. Graduating classes are in the 700's.

If Joe is so fond of the Gophers and Tubby Smith, why didn't he accept on the spot? Is this posturing typical for all recruits?

Yes, no kid accepts an offer right away. There are other schools involved, family, etc. After the season ends you will see kids like Coleman and Tyler that have offers make commits. These are Mn kids and I'm sure they love the UofM. This is all normal.

Yes, no kid accepts an offer right away. There are other schools involved, family, etc. After the season ends you will see kids like Coleman and Tyler that have offers make commits. These are Mn kids and I'm sure they love the UofM. This is all normal.

Are you saying Estan Tyler has an offer from Minnesota?

Yes, He was offered in July. The family is very private and did not go to the press.

Johnson Hs staff and Chris Carr of 43Hoops were contacted during the AAU season this past summer. Estan Tyler and Johnson Hs Coach have had many unofficial visit at the U of M.

Top Bottom