Mbakwe deserves faster 'justice system,' Gophers' Tubby Smith says

Blizzard

Reaction score
http://www.twincities.com/ci_14086921

University of Minnesota coach Tubby Smith is getting frustrated by the legal delay to determine whether 6-foot-8, 240-pound junior-college transfer Trevor Mbakwe can play for his basketball team. The Gophers opens their Big Ten season tonight against Penn State at Williams Arena.

Mbakwe, a junior, is awaiting a pre-trial hearing next month in Miami after being charged there in April with felony battery. He has been able to practice with the team, but can't play until his case is satisfactorily resolved.

"I don't know what the problem is; this should have been resolved a long time ago," Smith said. "It's disappointing that our justice system would take so long. It's not me; think about him. Here's a guy who is telling us, and we believe, that didn't do a thing.

"Whether he did or not, it should have been resolved."

Mbakwe is probably the Gophers' most dominant player and has excelled in practices. While 6-7 Gophers freshman Rodney Williams gets raves for his leaping and dunking, Mbakwe, despite his size, has a vertical jump equal to, or better than, that of the high-flying Williams.

"He practices hard, and he's stayed focused," Smith said.

Wasn't it Mbakwe's attorney who requested the delays?

It was. I believe they were having a tough time rounding up Trevor's alibi witnesses. I think the majority are basketball players in their respective seasons. One of the kids, Dodson, playing for Kentucky has been especially difficult to either contact or depose. I guess the Kentucky athletic department has been very uncooperative. I'm not sure of other reasons for the delay. In part it seems Trevor is becoming a victim in this.

Wasn't it Mbakwe's attorney who requested the delays?

Yes. For the reasons mentioned above. Aside, from that they've lost track of the alledged victim. I waffle around a bit and wonder if they're so convinced of his innocence why we wasn't allowed to play. I dunno. Presuming he is innocent it sure must be hard on him.

I wonder if they are having difficulty with some of the witnesses cooperating, because those witnesses could be next in line as suspects. (tall, well built black basketball players that were in the vicinity, at the party like Trevor)

It was. I believe they were having a tough time rounding up Trevor's alibi witnesses. I think the majority are basketball players in their respective seasons. One of the kids, Dodson, playing for Kentucky has been especially difficult to either contact or depose. I guess the Kentucky athletic department has been very uncooperative. I'm not sure of other reasons for the delay. In part it seems Trevor is becoming a victim in this.

Dodson is rumored (not confirmed yet) to become academically ineligible 2nd semster at UK.

If so, he'll be available.

Did anyone read the idiotic comments that people posted under the article? All I can say is wow.

86 12/23/2009 NOTICE OF TAKING DEPOSITION

hey! an update on the case after like a month...maybe this will get things in motion?

if they cant find the accuser by the trial date there really is no case to bring is there?

The attornies of Mbakwe did request the initial delays (as an attorney in this type of case would), however, Dade County has really not run an efficient case. They have lost track of the victim, they can't seem to arrange a depo of witnesses, and they really appear to be stuck in the mud. I, personally, have been very hard on Mbakwe, I definitely think he acted suspiciously and I thought Maturi made the correct decision. However, this case hasn't been conducted very well, and everyone deserves this case to get moving (the County, the attornies, Trevor, victim, witnesses, etc).

Top Bottom