Coleman not offered a scholarship?

gopher7

Reaction score
This tweet from the Pioneer Press says so. Sorry if this is old news.

Despite what he said recently, Hopkins star forward Joe Coleman wasn't offered a scholarship by Gophers coach Tubby Smith.

Did he misunderstand something Tubby said? That's pretty embarrassing if he announced that he was offered if he wasn't really. Who knows though.

is tubby not clear in his offering? this reminds me of trevor mbakwe last year, i recall he had an offer on the table for months and didn't know it. this seems like something that should be cut and dry, and shouldn't confuse kids.

kids hear what they want to hear

I'm sure Coleman is a good kid and the Gophers have serious interest in him. However, unless you hear "we are offering you a scholorship to play for our program"...then you don't have a real offer. Perhaps Tubby said, "we are interested / excited for you to become a part of our program". Much different.

Seems like these things happen all the time.

it's a mess right now. MN coaches say no offer was made, the coleman family all took it the other way. I heard what was said was something along the lines of, "We really want you to be a part of this program." Now that is not officially saying the word scholarship, but I can certainly understand how they thought it was. This sounds very similiar to what happenned with Calcaterra and Tyus Jones. The parties need to get together again and clear up this misunderstanding and things should be OK.

That is fence-walking and speaking in shades of gray its best. I wouldn't blame a player of family if they told our coaches to take a hike if a comparable school offered a solid scholarship.

it's a mess right now. MN coaches say no offer was made, the coleman family all took it the other way. I heard what was said was something along the lines of, "We really want you to be a part of this program." Now that is not officially saying the word scholarship, but I can certainly understand how they thought it was. This sounds very similiar to what happenned with Calcaterra and Tyus Jones. The parties need to get together again and clear up this misunderstanding and things should be OK.

That is very similar to Adam Williams at UK in the summer of 2002. Williams "accepted" when it wasn't really "offered" and UK "accepted" right back. Williams was 2x All-Stater in WV, Mr Basketball as senior, and Gatorade HS A-A as senior. But NEVER talented enough to play at UK.

Now Joe Coleman >>>>> Adam Williams in terms of Div I talent. And plenty talented to play at Minnesota or other Div I schools.

Does this have anything to do with the uncertain availibility of Royce and/or Trevor's scholarships? Is it implied he will get the scholarship currently held by Royce that is not technically available yet?

Does this have anything to do with the uncertain availibility of Royce and/or Trevor's scholarships? Is it implied he will get the scholarship currently held by Royce that is not technically available yet?

Coleman is HS junior in 2011 class. Gophers have 3 scholarships to offer that class regardless, 4 if Mbakwe plays this year.

"We really want you to be a part of this program." Now that is not officially saying the word scholarship, but I can certainly understand how they thought it was.

It sounds like coachspeak for " we're interested in you but have more interest in other players but want to keep you on the line in case other things fall through. "

For kids being recruited I would think this is a pretty common understanding.

Why not contact the Colemans and explain this privately instead of making it so public and embarrassing Joe?

Why not contact the Colemans and explain this privately instead of making it so public and embarrassing Joe?

That's exactly what rubs me wrong about this situation. He sounds like a great kid, a good student, with dreams about playing for the U.

Tubby has been doing this for a long time. I'm am fairly certain that he is sensitive to his message in a way that made it clear what he was or was not offering. Tubby is a stand up guy and will do the kid and the program right, one way or the other.

Top Bottom