More On Tyus Jones

Reserve

Reaction score
I didn't notice that this one had already been posted. A bit more info on young Mr. Jones

I posted part of the article. Click on the link for the whole thing.

http://www.postbulletin.com/newsmanager/templates/localnews_story.asp?z=22&a=430883

Tyus Jones is an eighth-grader at Valley Middle School in Apple Valley, Minn.

But he's certainly no ordinary eighth-grader.

Athletically, Jones is already being viewed as one of the most remarkable kids to come out of Minnesota. Six-feet tall and 155 pounds, Jones is doing something that only a handful of kids have every done in this state.

In basketball, his best of three sports (also football and baseball), he's already starting at the varsity level for one of the state's biggest high schools, Apple Valley. Jones is the team's point guard.

But what truly sets him apart is the college recruiting attention he's already getting. The 13-year-old has caught the eye of one of the nation's top college basketball coaches, the University of Minnesota's Tubby Smith. Smith has already been to an Apple Valley practice to see Jones, and has allowed him to be a special guest at a recent Gophers game.

Minnesota has seen a couple of eighth-graders start at big high schools in the past, including eventual Division I players Mitch Ohnstad at Faribault and Jake Sullivan at Tartan. But mix in that Jones is averaging 15 points and 10 assists for one of the better teams in the state, and that Tubby is hot after him, and this is uniquely different.

I marked the game in Chaska at the end of the year on a Friday night as a good night go see him play against Ross Travis and co.

So I make it to Rochester to see Jones play vs a very good 2A P-E-M squad. He's not the type of amazing high school player (Rodney Willams) you must see in person, but if you a basketball junkie he's definitely worth checking out. Tyus plays calm and under control with amazing passing & court vision. He hit his first three and missed the next 3 attempts. He also made two contested lay-up and the rest of his 18 points came from the line. He was pretty crafty at drawing fouls away from the hoop as the game got very chippy in the last five minutes.

The only knock I had was his defense... or lack of hustle. They were in a 2-3 zone vs. a dangerous 3 point shooting team and he just kinda jogged to the ball and half-heartedly pawed at the shooter. That being said, I don't think his defense is a problem at all... he is definitely capable, it was just disappointed to see so little effort. To me it's more on the coach for allowing it, then anything. I would be curious of anyone else who has seen him play if they noticed this also? I first saw Khalid when he was in 9th grade, but it would be hard to compare the two, they are very different players. First impression; he is a rare talent, glad Tubby and staff are on him.

http://www.avhoops.com/main.htm - Game story.

I was at the game as well and would agree with your assessment. I would attribute his lack of effort on the defensive end partially to his youth and the fact that he may still be adjusting to the speed/intensity of the varsity game, and partially to the fact that he rolled his ankle at the beginning of the game and may have been "babying" it a little bit. I expect his defensive ability/intensity to improve drastically as he gains more experience and he is already one of the best point guards in the state.

Top Bottom