How will the crowd react to Clem Haskins' return to the Barn on Tuesday?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Shooter says that Clem will return as part of the celebration of the Elite 8 team. I believe Yvette came back a year or so ago, but this will be Clem's first return to the Barn. How do you think the crowd will react?

I really hope the U does it right and not the way they "honored" the 82 team a few years back or the almumni last year. I hope they have highlights, announce each player during halftime, etc.

Go Gophers!!

The crowd should knock him onto his corrupt ass with boos. Clem lied, cheated, disgraced our program, and set up the Monson years. I'm not sure how he could have done more harm to Gopher Nation. If truth were told, he was finally caught, but we'll likely never know the full extent of the deceit during his tenure. Minnesota Nice be damned when Clem slithers onto the court again.

The crowd should knock him onto his corrupt ass with boos. Clem lied, cheated, disgraced our program, and set up the Monson years. I'm not sure how he could have done more harm to Gopher Nation. If truth were told, he was finally caught, but we'll likely never know the full extent of the deceit during his tenure. Minnesota Nice be damned when Clem slithers onto the court again.

Can't say I disagree, Clem f**ked up the Gopher program worse than the prior two "scandals" ever dreamed of doing. The worst part was that Clem did it while most Minnesota fans adored him and what he was doing with the program. He was loved in Minnesota until the news came out.

He should be cheered. He did nothing that other programs don't do. I blame the woman who couldn't keep her mouth shut and the pioneer press. All my favorite Gopher memories are with Clem at the helm...the man wanted to win. Kudos. If Monson wasn't such an ineffectual *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#, we barely would have felt the penalties. Programs get punished and recover all the time...you can't take away the memories.

He should be cheered. He did nothing that other programs don't do. I blame the ... pioneer press.

Yep. What happened to the code of journalism? Great point G-Homer! The only reason Royce and Trevor aren't playing is because of the stupid media. Mind your own business, media, and our program wouldn't have so many problems. No surprise that this same media stuck its nose into the business of the Iraq war and found out about torture and lies about WMD's. Stupid media. What we don't know doesn't hurt us. Stay out of it. Stupid media. Everything's all your fault.

Clem's crimes were more serious than most: he corrupted his players' educations.

He should not be allowed on campus, let alone into Williams.

He should not be allowed on campus, let alone into Williams.

I can't say I disagree. If they're expecting a warm, forgiving, welcome for him, I'm not sure why.

He was instrumental in Tubby's hiring and he should be thanked for that, but that's about it.

He should be cheered. He did nothing that other programs don't do. I blame the woman who couldn't keep her mouth shut and the pioneer press. All my favorite Gopher memories are with Clem at the helm...the man wanted to win. Kudos. If Monson wasn't such an ineffectual *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#, we barely would have felt the penalties. Programs get punished and recover all the time...you can't take away the memories.

after all that money we gave him to go away he should be able to handle a few boos.

It's all hypothetical since in a way he doesn't even exist, but how would you react to Bobby Jackson being introduced again at Williams? Clem was in charge and lied publicly, but many of the players from "the cheating years" knew what was going on. Would you also treat them as pariahs?

No cheers from me. Did he ever make a public apology to the fans and the institution? Studwell is correct. He corrupted educations, and brought a black eye to the entire university and not just the basketball program.

I will cheer loud for Clem

You can't tell me 1997 didn't happen, I lived it.

I'll cheer...he lead the gophers to what Memphis and other programs do now...and there was a story about Clem a year ago or so on ESPN (i think) and it was really well done

I can't believe he's coming back, that's just bold. It's going to be interesting. The worst aspect in regards to Clem is that he presented himself as a self-righteous coach and left so many of us thinking he could've created a dynasty if he cheated like the others.

I went to the summer league at the Target Center when Dwayne Casey brought him back. The arena exit on the floor handles a double filed line, guess who walked out beside my left shoulder? I remember exchanging a glare with him, he appeared guarded. I thought it was bold for him to appear at the Target Center, never dreamed he'd show up at Williams. Too bad I'm going to be out of town. I probably wouldn't boo, but would love to be there to take in the reception.

Tubby and Clem are friends, so be polite out of respect for Tubby.

My Two Cents

Clem messed up, but I never felt it was done with malice towards the program or because of vanity. I think he wanted to keep kids eligible so they could live their dream because without basketball, I'm not sure some of them would have had any future to think about. Clem did a disservice to their education, but ultimately that responsibility rests with those who chose to cheat on themselves! Perhaps that is what makes for a great college coach - the person who can bring out the best in players, both on and off the court. A coach who can teach life lessons that creates men who become productive members of society when their basketball skills can no longer carry them. A coach who can balance the demands of winning, graduation rates, and managing the lives of young men. Perhaps Clem focused too much on the basketball side of things while losing site of the longer term objectives.

Sometimes the sanctimony on this site is over the top. I'm amazed at the posters who have apparently never messed up and are able to sit in judgment of others. People deserve a 2nd chance and forgiveness (See Royce White!) - at least that is what I've been taught since I went to Sunday School.

It hurt to see the Gophers fall as far as they did. But what is done is done and it is way past the time to move on. Clem helped to give us a lot of thrills and I'll choose to appreciate that. I also appreciate that Tubby is now at the helm and seems to be an excellent example of a "great college coach" that I discussed above, and I don't think there are too many of them!

Go Gophers!

I hope Clem receives a nice ovation.

Studwell: "Corrupting kids educations"? Surely, you can't really believe that anything that went on with Gopher student athlete "educations" was any different than what goes on all across the country.

If Clem was "cheating" worse than anyone else, I'd love to know why we ended up with guys like Russ Archambeault, Kyle Sanden, and Kevin Loge as recruits. Further, I'd wonder why we didn't end up with Doug Wrenn, but I know the answer to that.

Was it ever proven that Clem knew about Ganglehoff helping the players academically cheat? IIRC, Clem was proven to be guilty of some of other things, like helping players through some money problems.

I am unsure what I would do. I am guessing he will receive mostly a positive response from the crowd with some boos mixed in.

He should be banned

The only thing he did for me was improve my seating priority!

Not sure how I'll react until the moment arrives. I'm mad at Clem (but not bitter) for what happened to the program, but despite what he did I have empathy for him as a human being. We all have our crosses to bear. My hunch is silence is the route I'll take. I know for sure I will not boo him.

I will cheer, and will hope the rest of the student section does the same. Although most of them may not remember who he is.

If you boo Clem, you'll be booing the Elite 8 team and Tubby at the same time. Don't be responsible for the peripheral damage. Remember that the Elite 8 team and their coach are still in the recordbooks.

If you boo Clem, you'll be booing the Elite 8 team and Tubby at the same time. Don't be responsible for the peripheral damage. Remember that the Elite 8 team and their coach are still in the recordbooks.

+1

Too bad his presence will overshadow the reason for the celebration Willie Burton, Jon Shikenjanski, Richard Coffey, Walter Bond, Kevin Lynch, Melvin Newbern, etc. being back in the barn. I wish he'd stay home.

Top Bottom