Bryant Allen + Seantrel Henderson...

cfield23

Reaction score
Hey guys...

I just read an article that said that Tubby and Brewster have both agreed to let Allen play both sports (assuming Tubby sees him as "basketball ready")...

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers/2009/12/smith-not-sure-about-allen.html

I know he was on the sidelines a couple games ago and he was a Mr. Show-Me Basketball finalist for the state of MO... He's definitely got something the Gophers could use... a 3-point shot...

I just read a forum on GH about Seantrel saying it's possible that he attends Minnesota if he can play both sports...

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?t=13025

ESPN grades him an 88 at the C position... but the interesting part is that he's currently looking at Marquette, Miami, Iowa State, and St. Louis...

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recr...ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=54975

What are the chances that next year, we have 2 players on the basketball team who use up football scholarships?

How many "Players" can you have on an NCAA Men's Basketball team? I know the scholarship limit is 15, but what about the 2-sport athletes?

Thanks guys!

I heard Tubby has ordered a two-car bus.

Hey guys...

I just read an article that said that Tubby and Brewster have both agreed to let Allen play both sports (assuming Tubby sees him as "basketball ready")...

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers/2009/12/smith-not-sure-about-allen.html

I know he was on the sidelines a couple games ago and he was a Mr. Show-Me Basketball finalist for the state of MO... He's definitely got something the Gophers could use... a 3-point shot...

I just read a forum on GH about Seantrel saying it's possible that he attends Minnesota if he can play both sports...

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?t=13025

ESPN grades him an 88 at the C position... but the interesting part is that he's currently looking at Marquette, Miami, Iowa State, and St. Louis...

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recr...ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=54975

What are the chances that next year, we have 2 players on the basketball team who use up football scholarships?

How many "Players" can you have on an NCAA Men's Basketball team? I know the scholarship limit is 15, but what about the 2-sport athletes?

Thanks guys!

The scholarship limit for Men's team is 13, not 15. No limit on how many others can join team.

The ESPN list of schools was compiled in summer of 2008, not recently. He is not considering basketball schools now.

The 2-sport scholarships go like this:

If the athlete plays football and any other sport, the scholarship counts against football's count.
If the athlete plays basketball and any other sport (except football), the scholarship counts against basketball's count.
Any other combo, the school can allocate it any way it wants.

Thanks guys!

Hopefully tubby lets him play bball too and he decides to come here... That would be awesome!

It would be nice if Brewster could convince Tubby to actively recruit Henderson for the basketball team. Having Tubby appear at a CDH basketball game would probably enhance our chances to land him. There is no downside for Tubby. He gets a space-eater without giving up a scholarship and Brewster gets his new LT.

I truly believe that offering Henderson a chance to play basketball gives us our best shot at landing him. Am I right that basketball is his favorite sport? I thought I read that somewhere awhile back.

I believe the only consideration is that they have to count against both rosters, just not schollies. So you really don't want to put someone on the bench you wouldn't want in a game. Occasionally you get into a wild three OT game and you end up using the whole bench. So you don't want to waste a roster spot to appease anyone, even for the #1 football recruit in the nation. Having said that, I think both of these guys are fine, better than most walk ons we're likely to have.

So you don't want to waste a roster spot to appease anyone, even for the #1 football recruit in the nation.

I agree with you, but Seantrel seems like he's no push-over in basketball... he's a huge body, something tubby loves in the post....

So you don't want to waste a roster spot to appease anyone, even for the #1 football recruit in the nation. Having said that, I think both of these guys are fine, better than most walk ons we're likely to have.

I thought there were unlimited roster spots? Other than schollies, the only limit I know about is the self-imposed restriction on taking walk-ons on road trips. I don't know if that restriction is always applied, but I do know the rule is there for expense control purposes.

He'd be tougher than Sampson and rebound better. It's pathetic watching Sampson rebound that poorly for his size.

I thought there were unlimited roster spots? Other than schollies, the only limit I know about is the self-imposed restriction on taking walk-ons on road trips. I don't know if that restriction is always applied, but I do know the rule is there for expense control purposes.

You may be right.

I think there is only a limit to the number who dress for games of 15.

I've been looking through the quagmire that is the NCAA.org site and no luck at a mention other than only 15 could dress and be on the bench.

Once upon a time I found a page on roster limits, I was only looking up for football though and I swore it mentioned basketball too, but I can't recall clearly. And I can't find that page again. If i do I'll link it.

I think there are roster restriction only in the NCAA tournament. I think the number is 15.

Top Bottom