Top 5 gophers of the last decade

diddy3191

Reaction score
I thought this would be fun to see people's idea of the top gophers from this decade.
Here is my list.

1.Vincent Grier
2. Rick Rickert
3. Kris Humphries
4. mike bauer
5. dusty rychart
6. lawrence mckenzie
7. dan coleman
8. lawrence westrook
9.kevin burleson
10. json stamper

Mike Bauer seems pretty high at 4. I'd put him closer to 9-10. Either way, there's a big drop off from 1-3 to 4.

top 10

1. Greer
2. Rickert
3. Humphries
4. Dusty
5. L McKenzie
6. Westbrook
7. Nolan
8. Damien
9. Hagan
10. Coleman

To make my list more interesting I've ignored the obvious Rickert and Humphries;

Starting Five: Burleson, Grier, Johnson, Rychart, Hagen
Fresh Five: Boone, Mckenzie, Stamper, Coleman, Holman

1. Grier
2. Rychart
3. Humphries
4. Rickert
5. Stamper
6. Johnson
7. Burelson
8. Hagen
9. Westbrook
10. Coleman

The #10 player was a big drop-off for me.

1. Vincent Grier
2. Dusty Rychart
3. Rick Rickert
4. Damien Johnson
5. Jeff Hagen
6. Lawrence Westbrook
7. Traverus Bennett
8. Kevin Burleson
9. Aaron Robinson
10. Dan Coleman

No disrespect meant, but putting this list together indicates what a tough decade it was for Gopher hoops. After #3, got to be really tough sledding, and you'll notice no Humphries; obviously he was the most talented Gopher to come through in the last decade, but I just can't get down with a guy who blatantly advanced his own agenda at the expense of the team.

It's also interesting that the only player on this list to log NBA time in the regular season was Burleson (although obviously Humphries remains in the league). What a thin decade it was. . .

doesn't winning count for anything? NO WAY the biggest ball hog in the history of the program who also lead the team to a 12-20 record can be number 3. Anyone who watched those games live realized that his stats were boosted because he never ever passed the ball. Humphries is number 7 at best.

Also Griers missed dunk lowers him from the number 1 spot.

Nolen is the Rodney Dangerfield of this Gopher fan base.

He is on track to be at or near the top of the list of ALL TIME Gophers in assists and steals and yet many of the players cited as "best of the decade" are a collection of ball hogs, bad attitudes and overinflated egos.

Let the stats (reposted here) speak for themselves:

http://www.thedailygopher.com/

Keep in mind, Nolen's stats are the result of playing on less talented teams (both offensively and defensively) than many players on these lists and he is amongst one of the most talented classes (entered 2007) in recent collegiate history.

On a different (better team) his stats would be much higher IMO.

Nolen is the Rodney Dangerfield of this Gopher fan base.

He is on track to be at or near the top of the list of ALL TIME Gophers in assists and steals and yet many of the players cited as "best of the decade" are a collection of ball hogs, bad attitudes and overinflated egos.

Let the stats (reposted here) speak for themselves:

http://www.thedailygopher.com/

Keep in mind, Nolen's stats are the result of playing on less talented teams (both offensively and defensively) than many players on these lists and he is amongst one of the most talented classes (entered 2007) in recent collegiate history.

On a different (better team) his stats would be much higher IMO.

+1

Anybody that liked Burleson, McKenzie, or Robinson better than Nolen is crazy. Tubby has raised everybody's expectations (and that is a good thing) but I'm afraid Nolen doesn't get enough credit because people expect big things for the gophers now. Make no mistake, Nolen is easily the best Gopher point guard of this decade.

I think you can make a case for a lot of the current players to be on any list ahead of guys like LMac, Stamper, Hagen, Robinson, etc. Most of those guys had one decent season at best, whereas Nolen, Blake, Westbrook, and Johnson have already had better careers than any of those guys. I know people have a tendency to remember anything in the past as better than the present, but give me a break with some of these guys!

+1

Anybody that liked Burleson, McKenzie, or Robinson better than Nolen is crazy. Tubby has raised everybody's expectations (and that is a good thing) but I'm afraid Nolen doesn't get enough credit because people expect big things for the gophers now. Make no mistake, Nolen is easily the best Gopher point guard of this decade.

I think you can make a case for a lot of the current players to be on any list ahead of guys like LMac, Stamper, Hagen, Robinson, etc. Most of those guys had one decent season at best, whereas Nolen, Blake, Westbrook, and Johnson have already had better careers than any of those guys. I know people have a tendency to remember anything in the past as better than the present, but give me a break with some of these guys!

I would still take Burleson over Nolan at this point, I think people have forgotten how good of a player he was/is. As far as true point guards, Robinson is fourth on my list, after Boone.

Stamper was a strong rebounder, hard nosed defender and had a solid short jumper. He's no star, but I would take him over a lot of guys listed - tremendous athlete and team player.

Hagen's big body in the middle was a nice to have, but Iverson and Sampson will have much better careers.

Mo isn't getting any love on these lists and I have no problem with that.

Westbrook over 'Lmac' (as you say)... thats a close one for me.

1. Grier
2. Rychart
3. Humphries
4. Rickert
5. Bennett
6. Stamper
7. Johnson
8. Burelson
9. Hagen
10. Westbrook

I forgot Traverus Bennett. My new list. His addition knocks off Dan Coleman, who if he weren't so soft and passive could've been as good as #2.

Top Bottom