Will Joe be the next Coleman to play for the Gophers?

The NCAA has a lot of rules

I have no idea whether this would be a NCAA violation, but it crossed my mind driving home after the game on Wednesday and listening to the post-game. ...

Is there any rule against Spencer Tollackson (a booster/alumni by definition) interviewing another booster/alumni (Dan Coleman) and openly talking about the recruitment of a prospective recruit (Joe Coleman) who has not signed a National Letter of Intent? I know Dan and Joe are brothers, but the thought crossed my mind that they shouldn't be discussing by name a potential future Gopher, especially considering Dan and Spencer both are former Gopher players.

I would guess it's not a violation because they are brothers, but I thought it might be a subject Dan and Spencer should best avoid on live radio air.

I think there may be a clause for immediate family; ie. Brewster being able to talk about his sons' recruitment before they signed.

Are there rules that say media members can't talk about recruits? That's all it was. Spencer is a media member. Mike Max talks about it all the time. Seantrel Henderson's family has been quoted in the paper more than Seantrel himself. I guess I'm not following what would make this a violation - whether it is Joe Coleman or a non-relative. Heck, Joe Coleman himself is talking to this very website. What's the difference? Because Spencer is a former player? I suppose he should check into it, but I cannot believe there's anything wrong with it. Spencer has to be able to do his job as a media member.

Now, if Tubby Smith got on the radio and started talking about it, then - boom! - there's your violation.

If media members can NOT talk about recruits, then everyone of us on the GH media are in violation. Hello??? :confused:

"If media members can NOT talk about recruits. ..."

The point is more about Dan, not Spencer. Spencer is a media member, Dan is not. Like I said, I'm guessing it's allowable because Dan is Joe's brother.

But knowing the expansiveness of the NCAA rulebook, I'm merely suggesting it might not have been the best idea to have a former player/booster (granted, the recruit's older brother) discuss an unsigned recruit by name on the Gophers' flagship station. The most likely scenario is they checked this out before going on air with it; I'd guess they found out it was kosher.

The NCAA rules will allow Calipari at Kentucky to continue.

I meant that sincerely, it IS pretty impressive to be recruited by Harvard. The young man must be very bright and doing well in school.

As long as Spencer doesnt openly ask for Joe to come to UM he will be fine.

Instead of talking about breaking non rules, shouldn't we be commenting on this outstanding young prospect? He has great athletic skill and a calm aggressiveness that will make him an outstanding Gopher. He will not be a turnover machine like D. Johnson.

Top Bottom