City of Palms Wrap-Up

mj2345

Reaction score
Cory Joseph all defensive standout. Man I really hope he wants to play with his brother as much as I want him to. Austin Rivers lit this tournament on fire except for when Joseph covered him. Tubby get this guy whatever it takes.

TOURNEY WRAP-UP-ALL TOURNEY TEAMS

Findlay Prep Actually Defeated Winter Park (But)

(Clipped from Hoopmasters)

Henderson, NV Findlay Prep 86 - Winter Park, FL 75

The main event of the evening featured an offensive explosion in the opening quarter as Austin Rivers (Winter Park) and Cory Joseph (Findlay) both went into double figures in the opening quarter scoring 10 points each as Winter Park held a 22-21 lead at the end of one as Rivers scored on a lay-in at the buzzer. It remained close for the first half of the quarter as Rivers and Joseph continued to light it up. It was tied at 37-all with three minutes to play in the quarter when Joseph, Tristan Thompson, and Nick Johnson combined for an 11-3 run to end the half to put Findlay up 48-40 at the break. Joseph led all scorers with 21 points, while Johnson added 14 points and Thompson chipped in with 11 points. Austin Rivers led Winter Park with 15 points, but no other Wildcat made it into double figures as John David Swanson was there number two scorer with 8 points.

Findlay maintained there lead as 6-9 Tristan Thompson picked up the slack for Cory Joseph, scoring 9 points in the third to help maintain their lead as Findlay headed into the final period on top by ten, 66-56, over Winter Park. Both Joseph (4 points) Rivers (6 points) cooled some in the third. The fourth quarter started with five quick points by Findlay's Jabari Brown as they extended their lead to fifteen, 71-56, over Winter Park. But the Wildcats weren't dead yet as they chipped away at the lead to pull within six, 77-71 on five straight points by 6-1 Isaac Turner. But, when they needed Austin Rivers, who had struggled from the field, to step up and take the game over down the stretch. He just didn't do it, for whatever reason he seemed reluctant to take the shot we've seen him take so many times before as Findlay made just enough free throws, to stay in control and win a hard fought win 86-75 over Winter Park.

Findlay Prep was led by Cory Joseph who finished with 27 points, he received solid support from Tristan Thompson with 23 points, Nick Johnson who finished with 19 points and Jabari Brown who finished with 13 points (all in the second half). Winter Park was led by Austin Rivers who finished with 22 points (only one in the fourth quarter), while Isaac Turner added 15 points and Brett Comer chipped in with 13 points.

Note: Winter Park will advance into the quarter-finals, since Findlay Prep doesn't meet certain state association requirements for competition and will drop into the consolation bracket. It was a confusing explanation, but unfortunately all it means is we will not see the best match-up in the final this great field offered.

Saw the Findlay versus Dunbar game

What an awesome tournament. You can feel the intensity when you walk in the gym. I sat in front of a Temple coach there to see a guy that verbaled to them. Interesting to hear the dialog between him and what appeared to be the manager of the high school team. I made sure to wear a U of M fleece. Cory played solid. His defense sticks out more than his offense. I got a chance to meet Cory when he came in the gym to watch the next game. Not surprising but he was a very nice kid. He went out of his way to shake my six year olds hand. Yes, I told him I hope he joins us. I wish I could report that he said something like I am coming there but no such luck.

Their head to head match-up. Cory Joseph….. 27 points, 3 assists, 2 rebounds, 9-16 FG, 5-7 3pt, 1 steal, 1 TO
Austin Rivers…. 22 points, 5 assists, 4 rebounds, 9-21 FG, 3-12 3pt, 4TO

Something I find confusing is; Texas still in the mix for Cory Joseph. They have a verbal from Myck Kabongo, a junior. From an article I read, it said Kabongo handles the point on the Grassroots AAU team that both he and Cory play on. I just can't see him going there if Kabongo intends to go there.

Texas is stacked with point/combo guards, but they also have a lot of guys Cory knows.. Kabongo, Tristan Thompson, Avery Bradley.. And Cory loves Rick Barnes.

So it's a pretty bad fit for Cory, but at the same time, he likes the staff a lot and has several friends there. Texas is definitely a big contender in his recruitment.

I really think UConn has the best shot at landing Cory.

Call it a hunch right now, but I think he winds up donning a Huskie uniform.

UNLV is rated #20 in the ESPN/USA poll. We are clearly experiencing the toughest fortunes out of his 5 finalists.
-#2 Texas has been recruiting like UNC, UCLA, and Duke- all 4 and 5 * players
-#8 Villanova runs an offense that looks like it would be appealing to recruits and Jay Wright might be the hottest coach in the nation.
-#27 UNLV is better than us and will be in the tourney
-#11 UConn is always tough and ESPN will keep the NCAA out of Calhoun's hair.

W're unranked and really need Cory Joseph. Tubby Smith's first recruiting class was a solid B, his second has to be downgraded to a C with the developments with White and Mbwake, and this one is a C at best without Joseph. Not a good trend, especially without any real top-end talent in the state to lead next year's class.

akgopher, do you think Cory Joseph is waiting to see what Brandon Knight decides? I see UConn is on Knights list. Also, I think you're right about the Villanova coach and it looks like he can really recruit. He has 3 good recruits coming in next year, 2 of them top 100, but no guards.

akgopher, do you think Cory Joseph is waiting to see what Brandon Knight decides? I see UConn is on Knights list. Also, I think you're right about the Villanova coach and it looks like he can really recruit. He has 3 good recruits coming in next year, 2 of them top 100, but no guards.

I'm hardly an insider, unlike FOT.

I think losing him to UConn would be the toughest to swallow. I question how they operate, shake my head at what ESPN does for them- everything Phil Knight dreams about doing for Oregon, and I'm still suspicious about how El-Amin ended-up there. Barnes and Texas are tough to love too.

I wouldn't blame him if he went to Nova. Great academics, great basketball school, arguably the best college basketball city in the country, and an awesome offense. UNLV proved it can be the funnest school to play at during the 80's decade if they get hot, and it's the city where kids in their early 20's want to be. Don't count them out.

I'm grateful to have Tubby, but his substitution patterns have to be a question mark for a 5* kid with the NBA lottery within two years in his mind. I don't buy the Tubby Ball Offense because I'd think that NBA GMs would appreciate players coming out of a system understanding how to play defense and stressing fundamentals.

I'm hardly an insider, unlike FOT.

I think losing him to UConn would be the toughest to swallow. I question how they operate, shake my head at what ESPN does for them- everything Phil Knight dreams about doing for Oregon, and I'm still suspicious about how El-Amin ended-up there. Barnes and Texas are tough to love too.

I wouldn't blame him if he went to Nova. Great academics, great basketball school, arguably the best college basketball city in the country, and an awesome offense. UNLV proved it can be the funnest school to play at during the 80's decade if they get hot, and it's the city where kids in their early 20's want to be. Don't count them out.

I'm grateful to have Tubby, but his substitution patterns have to be a question mark for a 5* kid with the NBA lottery within two years in his mind. I don't buy the Tubby Ball Offense because I'd think that NBA GMs would appreciate players coming out of a system understanding how to play defense and stressing fundamentals.

I'm no insider at all. I do follow recruiting (for all teams) closely.

Lip service

Much like Harrison Barnes, I suspect it's simply lip service that Joseph is mentioning the Gophers. I expect him to go elsewhere.

Joseph

I would be pretty bummed if Cory was only mentioning us as a courtesy. I think the Barnes / Joseph situation is really different. His brother already being here..the family obviously hit it off with Tubby once before. Tubby had to recruit Devoe away from Texas, etc.. and that was with no blood connection.

I would think the Tubby / Devoe connection will keep us seriously in contention until the end.

Top Bottom