Al Nolen: Under the radar

ShowinGoldyLove

Reaction score
I know there are people that have mixed opinions of Nolen, but I think what he's done so far this year ought to recognized.

I know it's early, and we haven't gotten to B10 conference play yet, but Nolen has improved in nearly every quantifiable statistical category this year. I think that the great play of Hoffarber so far this year has allowed Nolen to fly under the radar.

A look at the numbers:

Shooting (usually the biggest concern with him, which has greatly improved so far):
3-pointers:
This year - 42%
Last year - 29%
Fresh year - 29%

FG %:
This year - 44%
Last year - 34%
Fresh year - 33%

Passing:
Assist/turnover ratio:
This year - 3.3/1
Last year - 2.5/1
Fresh year - 1.93/1

Defense:
3 steals a game, up from 2 the past two years, while getting 3 rebs/game.

While I still think he gambles a bit too much with his on-the-ball defense, his numbers have gotten better. If he can continue to shoot that %, be smart with the ball, and not gamble too much on defense, we could be a very good team in the next 20 games.

Just thought his improved overall game was worth mentioning, based on some of the criticism he received last year.

He looked good in non-conference play last year too. I'm not getting too excited about Nolen, Hoffarber, etc until I see them perform against Purdue, MSU, and Wisconsin. If they lead us to some W's against those teams, then the growth is legit.

If He Doesn't Get Injured

I think Nolen winds up as Gophers' career leader in Steals and Assists.

good numbers

Yes those are good numbers and I sure hope he holds up in the conference.

I still have a little twinge when I see him toss up a 3.

It would be great if Al and Hoff can keep it up over the next few months. Add Westy, Devoe, and Cobbs into the mix and our guard combo might be better than expected.

Just checked Nolen's Stats on espn. He comes in at 11th in the nation for steals w/ 2.8 pg. His defense this year has been pretty phenomenal.

Top Bottom