Gophers offer Joe Coleman of Hopkins High School

GopherLady

Reaction score
I just got a text from Joe saying "They offered!"

I obviously clarified that "they" were the Gophers, and indeed, it was! I just spoke with Joe about how much Gopher pride he had, and always has been a huge fan growing up, and how much he wanted an offer.

GopherHole will have the interview up with Coleman tomorrow. Congrats, Joe - at the possibility of following in your brother's (Dan Coleman) footsteps!

If you aren't very familiar with Joe - this is from Kare 11 on him being the Athlete of the Week Last week:

Joe Coleman- Athlete of the week

That is an interesting development. Good for the Coleman tradition. I wonder where that Schollie comes from - I would think we still have one out there for Cory Joseph.

Nice. It's too bad his bro didn't have the same op to play for the Tubster. It'll be great to have him.

Well that is great news for him and his family. What does this do with our scholarship numbers? Thought we were holding one for C. Joesph, and where is this one from??? hmmmmm

Has to be Royce. If Mbakwe redshirt's there is no need for an extra power forward since he would play 2 years, and there is no way they are giving up on Joseph.

Coleman is only a junior (i.e. class of 2011).

Interesting. After the game and during the Q&A with Spencer, Tubby gave a shout-out to Dan ... and then Spencer did a short interview with Dan. Spencer asked if Dan was lobbying "the coaches" to get his brother a scholarship and Dan deflected the question but clearly either didn't know Joseph had been offered or did one of the best "keeping mum" jobs in radio history.

BTW, Schnoods, Coleman's senior year was under Tubby's coaching. Or is there another brother you were referencing?

I'm officially confused -- Minnesota Sports Online's roster for Hopkins lists Joe Coleman as a Senior. Not that it's the end-all of resources but there's apparently some confusion here and elsewhere.

I have a hard copy of the roster in my hands. It says 11th grade. Everything I have ever read about Coleman is that he is class of 2011.

In the link they show him as 6'3" - is that right?

Hopkins lists Coleman as 6'4" on their roster. After watching him at the Sibley game last week, I would says he's much closer to 6'2" than he is 6'4".

Does he have the ball skills to play guard in the Big Ten?

Does he have the ball skills to play guard in the Big Ten?

Here is what I posted on the Badger board after seeing him last week:

"Joe Coleman scored 23 points (9-15 shooting) in Hopkins' 77-73 win last night over Henry Sibley. He is listed at 6'4" in the program, but I would be surprised if he is taller than 6'2". He appears to have pretty solid strength and is a very good athlete, but he needs to develop is shooting and ball-handling skills if he going to become a high major guard/wing prospect (I believe his only offer at the moment is Santa Clara). He made one nice mid-range jumper last night, but the rest of his points came on dunks/layups, which sounds like the norm thus far in the season. He has now had games of 23, 31 and 43 this season, but nearly all of those points have come from close in."

We'll have 3-5 scholarships for the 2011 class depending on if Royce's slot is filled by him or a recruit for next year's class and if Mbwake is redshirted if he's cleared.

Coleman is a junior (class of 2011). Congrats to him on the offer, seems to play harder and much more aggressively than his big brother Dan, albeit a different position.

Since he is only 6'2 or so, they may be assuming he'll grow more since his brother was a legit 6'9.

Sounds like 6'5 or 6'6 would be a good height for Joe Coleman's game/skills.

If the offer is solid and he accepts it would put another raw athletic type on the floor like we have on the wing with Rodney Williams based on scouting reports for Joe Coleman. I'd imagine we'll be looking for a long range threat for that class since Blake Hoffarber will out in 2011.

TubbyTime, I'm thinking they have him "graded" at 90. Looks like they have him rated #41 at SG for his class. Overall there looks to be maybe 170 players graded above him. That's what I seen when I followed your link. I could easily be wrong.

TubbyTime, I'm thinking they have him "graded" at 90. Looks like they have him rated #41 at SG for his class. Overall there looks to be maybe 170 players graded above him. That's what I seen when I followed your link. I could easily be wrong.

He might be a bit underrated because he played behind Lockett and Cowels last year. He appears to be the guy this year and could really rise fast in the rankings.

A grade of 90 by ESPN Scouts Inc translates to about Top 150 overall.

I would certainly say......

he compares well with Jordan Taylor at the same stage, good athlete who takes it in strong but outside game needs some polish. I don't think Bucky is unhappy with Taylor....

No offense, but I can't think of any similarities between those two players other than the fact that they are both from Minnesota and aren't great shooters.

Top Bottom